Even though the topic of the water quality is frequent in our daily life but we do not overemphasize it and asked whether the tap water or distilled water is the best to consumpt you would probably would have to think for a while in order to provide an answer.
So, can you drink distilled water? Yes, you can. Distilled water is the safest for human consumption because 99% of the bacteria, parasites, chemicals and metals are removed. However, you have to put some effort to make sure that you avoid any disadvantages of distilled water.
Benefits of distilled water
Let‘s have a quick look at the benefits of consumpting distilled water:
- Gives an opportunity to supervise the process. If you use in-home water filters, that means you can follow and supervise the process as well as to make sure that all the chemicals and other toxic parts dissolved in water are removed. For example, tap water may have the following contaminants: arsenic, bacteria, viruses, chorine, fluoride, mercury, nitrates, rust, sulfates, salt, lead etc.
- Doesn’t have unpleasant smell or taste. Distilled water provides clean and fresh taste without metallic aftertaste or smell. After the water is purified unpleasant taste of smell disappears along with the bacteria, parasites, chemicals and metals.
- Reduces consumption of chorine. As the specific smell that a swimming pool water has because of the disinfection with chlorine, the tap water is also being disinfected with chorine before it reaches your house. That is another reason to use a distilled water as it contains nearly 99% less chlorine than the tap water does.
- Reduces the risk of diseases. The water might have bacteria or viruses which after entering the organism might cause or increase the risk of disease and lower the immune system. What is more, as the distilled water contains no additives and is absolutely fresh, it may have cleansing and purifying your body.
- Strengthens your health. As our body contains 80% of water it is hugely significant to make sure that every sip of water we take is not contaminated. It may be also mentioned that distilled water protects cells and keeps the body from overheating as well as lubricates joints perfectly and helps remove waste. That means, if you ensure your body with the best quality of water, not only start feeling better as your body performs in the best way but also you save money on what you would spend on medications and doctor visits.
Risks of drinking distilled water
You may ask, whether there are any disadvantages of drinking distilled water? Of course, drinking distilled water has disadvantages as well but they are not as bad as they may seem at the first glance. Let’s have a look at some of them.
- It might be strange to drink water with the different taste and as some people tell, at first it is even hard to force yourself to have a daily norm of water. The fact that distilled water looks tasteless means that unlike tap water, it no longer contains minerals such as calcium, sodium and magnesium. In other words, distilled water is not only water free of bacteria, parasites, chemicals and metals, it also free of minerals and electrolytes and is absolutely fresh (contains of oxygen and hydrogen only).
- Some people say, that distilled water lacks of minerals which body needs and those who consumpt such water for a long time may face a problem of weakness and tiredness. Especially for those who has intense sport activities it is important to get enough electrolytes in order to seek the best performance. As the body loses water and minerals through the sweat it is important to make sure to have them replaced.
How to drink distilled water safely
In order to drink fresh water without unwanted minerals, bacteria and minerals as well as risks to get diseases it is significant to make sure that distilled water wasn’t the only fluid consumed during the day. In other words, while drinking distilled water causes a lack of certain minerals and other essential substances for the body, it should be had in mind that other essential beverages and food may also be consumed during the day. In other words, the fact that the body does not get the substances it needs with water does not cause any harm, because a person who is fully nutritious receives all the necessary substances from other consumed products. It means that the body does not suffer from any damage due to a lack of minerals or electrolytes and also avoids the various risks that tap water can cause.
It is also worth paying attention to diets that include distilled water. It is a myth that consumption of distilled water is harmful when taking a diet. Actually, as part of a balanced diet, distilled water is beneficial. The main problem is that diets usually are aimed to have a loss of large amount of weight during the short period of time. If the diet lasts for a long period of time, it does not provide the body with sufficient nutrients and provokes a lack of minerals and electrolytes, which causes shock to the body and questionable results in the end. The person who drinks a lot of distilled water and does not have proper nutrition risks to misbalance the amount of sodium, calcium, magnesium, zinc and the amount of other nutrients in the body. In this case, while the short-term result may be encouraging, it is certainly not beneficial to health. That’s why you have to consult with professionals before undertaking any kind of fast.
All in all, after comparing benefits and disadvantages it is clear that the distilled water has the superiority over the tap water and there are no doubts of its benefits. In that case, we recommend picking one of the best water distillers to make your life healthier. However, distilled water may not only advised for consumption for those who exercise intensively, has undertaking an extreme fast and cannot ensure proper nutrition.
Sources of information:
Probably the best way to get overall excellent quality of water in your whole household is the Whole House Reverse Osmosis System. An increasing number of health specialists agree that RO is the...
Reverse Osmosis purified water is a great way to drink and use water for any other applications. These days you're not limited to a single option. You might have even been drinking RO water for...